Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Who Moved My Cheese....er....Luggage?

It was suggested to me recently that I should share a certain personal story on here. It happened during the week of TeenPact National Convention. Truly, it was one of hundreds of stories that happened there. I know if I talked to every person I met, they would have a Ripple Effect story to share. Maybe I should pick a few people and ask them to share part of their NC story. But for today, here is mine.

I stood up, a million thoughts running through my head. What time is it? I have to run! Oh why, oh why, oh why does my seat have to be so far back?? I was in full blown panic mode. My flight from Seattle had been running late, thus we landed late, thus I needed to get off this plane ASAP so I could catch my connecting flight or I was done for!! I kept whispering the same prayer over and over. Please God, let me catch my flight. I have to catch my flight. 

But God had different plans.

Finally the line started moving. The ladies in the seats next to me graciously let me go ahead of them, even though we could all see it wouldn't do a whole lot of good time-wise. Moving as fast as I could I finally got off the plane. I quickly found a flight board (conveniently located right as one entered the airport from the gate). My heart dropped. I started to shake. This could not be happening to me. But it was. My flight was gone. It had taken off fifteen minutes ago, leaving me trapped in North Carolina. 

I was stuck in that airport for four hours. It felt like longer. I spent probably about half that time either crying, praying, or both. The other half I spent poking around on my iPod, staring numbly off into space, or on the phone. Every time I talked to my mom she kept saying the same thing. "God has a plan. He knows what's going on. This will work out according to His will." I kept praying for understanding and peace in the situation. It was really hard to just say "Okay God, this is in your hands." At some point, my mind went numb. I mechanically answered my phone whenever it went off. Truth be told, I really don't remember much about sitting in that airport. 

Finally, I got there. After the flight being delayed several times (thus the four-hour airport wait), I was finally in Tennessee. There, I found a staffer, some TeenPact parents who had also been on my flight, but no luggage. My suitcase and sleeping bag were gone. On another flight to be specific. And I had thought my day couldn't get any worse. So, my backpack and the clothes I wore being the only possessions I had to my name at that moment, I filled out a lost-luggage form and got on the van to camp.

When I finally got there, dinner was long over and evening session was almost over. Not really hungry anyway, I got registered and slipped into session. Finally, I was able to get to my room. I was shaking as I walked in, explained who I was, my predicament, and was given my choice of bunks. There were three left. Glancing around, I blindly picked the one in the farthest corner. Above a kind-looking girl with blond hair. She introduced herself as Lily James and offered to lend me a pair of sweatpants for the night. I accepted, and after zombie-ing through rendezvous, climbed onto my bed and fell asleep.

The next morning, my luggage had arrived. Ecstatic, I dragged my suitcase and sleeping bag into the room, and changed into a pair of jeans and my campaign t-shirt. I gave Lily back her sweatpants and saw that she too was wearing a campaign t-shirt. For a Kiefer Partridge. Somehow we got to discussing campaigns, she being this Kiefer-person's campaign manager, I running for Representative. She was able to give me an extra packet from the campaign meeting I had missed. Grateful, I asked her if I could trail her to breakfast (not knowing basically anyone at camp). Sure! she said, You can meet Kiefer!

So I met Kiefer. I ate breakfast with him and Lily. Got a look at his campaign table. Set up my table. Went to session. And began weaving a lasting bond with two of the most amazing people I have ever met.

If just one thing had been different, I may have met Lily and Kiefer, but may have never formed the friendship that we formed. We basically spent all week together. God had a plan when He allowed me to miss my plane. Being human, I couldn't see that plan, so close into my future that it was. I thank God everyday that they are in my life, I wouldn't have it any other way. I just hope that I have blessed them half as much as they have blessed me.

Lily and Kiefer, thank you so much for your friendship. God was truly smiling down on us the day(s) I met you two. What's even more amazing to know is that He knew this was going to happen and planned it just right even before this world had been created. Crazy, isn't it? I just want y'all to know that you made NC ten times better than I was ever expecting it to be. My mind keeps going back to Thursday night as we huddled together in prayer with Amy and Serena. That night my heart went under some major renovations. Thanks for being there. The encouragement of feeling your arms around me and mine around you was a bigger blessing than you will ever know. If this isn't proof that God loves us and knows what He's doing, I don't know what is. Thank you again. *heart thump* Rosie


Thank you for reading! My experience at NC is what really inspired me to start this project. God works out everything according to His plan, and His plan for us is the best we could ever have, and trust me, it's amazing. Have an amazing rest of your day, and God bless!

For the full story on why the Ripple Effect was started, what it's all about, and how to submit, go here.
To join the FaceBook group, go here.
*NEW* To follow the Ripple Effect on Twitter, go here.

1 comment: